Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Birth, Life, Love, Breastmilk...

I know, I know, that title does not have a ring to it. Cut me some slack, I am recovering from pneumonia.

I had to come up with something to say as I find myself in a new profession. It's hard to admit to hanging up the doula hat. Even if I never take another client or go to another birth (which is unlikely) being a doula is not just what I did. It's who I am. Which is so strange to say, really, as I always considered myself someone who would float from thing to thing forever. But after five years of tending to moms and babies, I can honestly say that the profession has intermingled with the personal. I mean really, no one does doula work for the money or the glory. It's just not that kind of job.
All the months of ignoring this blog were because I was uber focused on finding a new job, and I had no idea what it was to be. I leave my old life not for lack of love for it, but for money, honestly, and professional advancement. If I want to take over the world I have to get going! I am almost 34! In any case, I accepted a great position at a local hospital doing lactation support on the mother-baby unit. I will have the opportunity to help lots and lots of families and hopefully, after a year, will have enough hours to sit for the IBCLC exam. Pretty exciting stuff.

3 comments:

Lori said...

Congrats Randie!

honeykbee said...

Cheers to all things new and exciting! Congrats on your new job, and to all the new mom's who will benefit

Melissa said...

Hey Randie!
You know I am proud of you. But just for the record, I am not going to let you off the doula hook that easy as one of my fave doulas to partner up with. I know you are going to help so many families get off to a great start and this is a new start for you too. Breast is best, just as you know who! Love, Melissa